We normally think of our home as our safe haven, but each year billions of dollars in damages are claimed by homeowners. Most people think of the natural elements of fire, wind, and water as the primary causes of damage to homes and while all of these are frequent sources of damage, there are a few others that most overlook. The Miami homeowners’ insurance attorneys at Greenberg, Stone, & Urbano offer a complete look at some of the most common causes of homeowners’ insurance claims below. We hope that by understanding the causes of most claims, you can be on the alert to prevent home damage and take prompt action in the event damage does occur:
- Fire damage: Fires in the home can happen unexpectedly and can inflict a devastating toll on your family and property. Most homeowners’ insurance policies will offer coverage for fires. Check to see whether your policy offers replacement or rebuilding cost coverage. It is imperative that you obtain sufficient documentation of the damage to your home and your personal belongings. If possible, look back to find pre-fire photographs of the damaged areas or items as well. Including as much documentation as possible will assist you in obtaining full coverage for your home’s damage.
- Water damage: Water damage is the most common cause of loss for homeowners. Water damage can occur due to a variety of reasons, including broken or leaking appliances, a leaky roof, cracked pipes, and much more. Water can wreck havoc on a home if not promptly remedied. Review your policy carefully to determine what water damage is covered and what could be excluded.
- Storm and wind damage: Although it has been years since the last major hurricane hit the state, other minor storms can also inflict serious damage. If a storm harms your roof or another part of your home, notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Storm repairs can be quite costly, but are necessary for you and your family.
- Animal attacks: As a homeowner, it is important that you obtain coverage not just for your home, but for your pets as well. Pet attacks are common and not all are provoked. At times, even dogs and other animals without a history of aggression can bite someone. These losses can be serious, especially if you are not covered. Check your policy and pay close attention to breed restrictions that could present an issue in the event that your dog attacked someone.
- Visitor accidents: Homeowners should have adequate coverage in case visitors are injured on their property. Slip and falls, pool related accidents, and more are common. Having proper coverage can save you greatly in the long run.
Greenberg, Stone, & Urbano: Experienced Assistance for Your South Florida Homeowners’ Insurance Claim
If your home has been damaged and you need the assistance of a homeowners’ insurance attorney to appeal your denial or file your claim, contact the Miami Homeowners’ Insurance Attorneys at Greenberg, Stone & Urbano. We have over 130 collective years of experience representing homeowners against the insurance companies across South Florida. From the moment you contact our firm, we will fight to see that your case receives the care, dedication, and hard work it deserves. We are honored to have received a coveted AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and the Miami Herald’s ranking as a top firm in South Florida. Put our outstanding homeowners’ insurance lawyers to work on your case. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or you can visit our website to schedule your initial consultation.