Homeowners’ insurance is a safety net for when the worst thing possible happens, whether that is a tree that takes out part of the home during a hurricane or a fire that burns the house to the ground. A family that is dealing with the devastation of such a loss certainly does not need any more trouble, but many times, an insurance claim is disputed or denied completely. When this happens, it is important to hire the right attorney to fight the wrongdoing of the insurance company.
The experienced South Florida homeowners’ insurance attorneys at Greenberg Stone and Urbano have witnessed the myriad of ways in which an insurance company will try to get out of paying a valid claim. Our skilled attorneys have more than 130 years of collective knowledge and legal acumen relating to making the insurance companies honor the contracts that they made. We are ready to put these skills to work on your behalf and have some pointers on how to find the right attorney for your needs. These suggestions include:
• Select attorneys who specialize in homeowners’ insurance actions – There are many generalist attorneys working in South Florida who believe that there are no special skills needed for these types of cases, but insurance companies have the resources to take advantage of every potential loophole and it is critical to have attorneys who have just as specialized knowledge;
• Assess whether your attorney is willing to give your action the attention that it deserves – Many attorneys promise great things, but do not return telephone calls or listen to your concerns. It is important to have an advocate who understands your needs and goals, responds promptly to your questions, and keeps you involved in the process; and
• Find an attorney with the resources that make a difference – It is important for an attorney to have an effective support network and a significant history in the area in which the case is being pursued. Knowing the local court system, judges, and adversaries can go a long way to getting the right outcome for a homeowner trying to get the coverage promised under the terms of an insurance contract.
There are steps that a homeowner can take to establish the foundation for a successful legal action, which includes:
• Take careful notes of any conversations with insurance adjusters and representatives – It is important to document any verbal conversations so that it can be referenced moving forward. Being able to produce extemporaneous notes indicates a level of accuracy that can dispute the insurance representative’s version of the conversation;
• Keep copies of all documents that you send and keep anything that arrives from the insurance company; and
• Carefully memorialize the damage through photographs and videos that are time-stamped. Many times, an insurance company will attempt to argue that the damage was made more severe after the initial event through the actions of the homeowners. Pictorial documentation can be used to refute these allegations.
Once you have retained an attorney to represent your rights and interests, it is important to stop communicating directly with the insurance company and let your attorneys ensure that the insurer does the right thing and issues the payment to which you are entitled.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano Gets Homeowners the Coverage that they Deserve
The Miami homeowners’ insurance law firm of Greenberg Stone and Urbano has fought for more than 30 years to get the coverage that homeowners deserve after making premium payments in accordance with the terms of the contract with an insurer. Our diligence and client-centric focus has earned us an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest rating that can be awarded. Further, the Miami Herald has voted us one of South Florida’s top-rated law firms. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule an appointment so that we can fight to protect your rights and interests.